Friday, October 15, 2010

How i can increase my own happiness in education.

Omadai Rajahlall
Dr. McCormick
ENG 101
Paper 1, Blog # 3
Numerous People who studies would normally complain that education is very difficult, boring and there is no fun in it. As a current college student, I personally believed that this is not the case. I believed that people let their negative emotional feeling get to them, and this causes them to get carried away with the wrong ideas and thoughts. I am a hundred percent positive that every student has a motivation to increase their happiness in education. For instance, I have many good and important reasons why education contributes toward the increasing of happiness in my life. For example, there are major improvements of my creativity and development with my intellectual skills, the communication and socialization with my fellow classmates is an amazing experience. I also enjoyed the challenges and struggles that I faced in my education towards achieving my goals, and I have a few habits and styles of my own which contribute towards my learning.
The numerous evidences of becoming wiser with my creativity have proven how intellectual I have become. What would this world be without creativity? Creativity is a very important aspect in our lives because it proves our intelligence of how brilliant we can be, creating new and beneficial ideas. Ken Robinson states, “Creativity is as important in Education as Literacy” He is saying that creativity is as important in education as the ability to read and write. It expands our knowledge to become someone better. This is a very important reason why I am satisfied and happy with my education. A typical example is before I had started college, I had difficulties with my English and had a tendency to struggle and find the right words whenever someone asked a question at my work. I worked at the airport as a customer service representative, and I would find it very embarrassing whenever I’m in a situation like this. However, ever since I started college my education has brought me nothing more but happiness and pleasure to notice how much easier and faster I am able to respond to a question. I have shown a tremendous improvement with my English and how to answer a question in a more knowledgeable and smarter way. Now I am able to provide a better customer service to passengers like I really should. Many times my colleagues at work would complement me for my improvement in creating new and smart ideas, and how intelligent I have become. In addition, I have invented many new ideas and procedures at work, such as a better employee schedule, forms for our daily use, filing and applying ourselves more efficiently to a position. I have even become wiser with the activities in my personal life, like I can budget my income more efficiently and wisely and I made new rules and ideas in my home which has shown great improvement. Everyone who knows me has noticed the intellectual in me. It’s amazing to see how I am able to apply myself in a difficult situation, argument, or in creating new ideas. I feel very proud, happy and satisfied of my performance at school, work and home. My education is the main reason for contributing towards my happiness. The increase of improvement and happiness in my life has only caused me to be more motivated and encouraged towards my education. Education is responsible for all my developing ideas that are unique, useful and worthy for my daily activities.
Another important reason for the increase of happiness in my education is I love and enjoy the communication and socialization with my fellow classmates. This has been an amazing experience, which have been very supporting and encouraging for me to complete my studies. I am enjoying the true freedom of who I am and could be, and sharing myself with other students. I like making new friends and this is a good opportunity for me. Socializing with people from different part of this world has made learning more interesting, fun and worthwhile for me. Almost every day I would learn something, such as different culture, values, habits and customs. Sometimes the teachers would let us work in group, this have helped me to learn more about people, and to understand the different personality of someone and the way they think. It’s amazing to see how many different ideas we can produce whenever we do group work. I think I have a better chance of learning whenever we are working in a group because we are able to think critically to provide a good presentation. In class I feel like I have a voice which is being heard, because teachers and classmates would listen whenever I have a point or anything to say. Most of the time they are supportive and whatever comment they may have is not a problem for me, because I think we are all thinking and learning at the same time. This widens our knowledge and is a major contribution towards our learning. The communicating and socializing with other students and teachers would normally get us involved with something we feel deeply about, such as education, health, religion, etc. This supports the increase of my happiness in education because I am a person who enjoys and is always willing to learn.
The challenges and struggles also contribute towards the increase of happiness in my education because it gives me the opportunity to prepare myself for a good future. According to an article by Mark Van Doren, “Every youth should be made to feel that his happiness and well-doing in life must necessarily rely mainly on himself and the exercise of his own energies, rather than upon the help and patronage of others.” (qtd. In Ben – Shahar 89). From my personal experience I couldn’t agree more because the difficulties that I faced in my studies, homework, researches and hard work is only making me into a better person. It is a feeling of being independent and responsible. I believed that the struggles and challenges prepare me for a better future because I will have to face these difficulties by myself. It’s a feeling of an accomplishment of something big and meaningful for me. My world in education has been a guidance towards being happy, and proud of myself for being someone who can handle challenges and struggles. It supports my happiness in being educated.
I believed that motivation is an important role toward my happiness in education because it is an increasing of incomes. I have a majority of choice for more jobs and the ability to pursue that choice. Education has given me the opportunity to a new promotion and a better salary. It is also a form of inspiration. My friends and families are happy about my performance and have given me great support. This has been a motivation for me to be even happier in education.
In addition, I have a few habits and styles which participate in making me satisfied and happier in my studies. I have a habit of repeatedly moving from my position whenever I am studying and getting something to eat or drink. For some strange reason this has been really supportive because I cannot concentrate no matter what, until I satisfied my needs and wants. After I am done I would become very attentive and can do my work more efficiently. I can study for hours without any more distraction. Also, I cannot type my homework or essay properly if I don’t have any music in my ears. The songs actually helps to concentrate more and even get the work done a lot faster. I am able to correct and find mistakes better under these circumstances. My friend would sometimes make fun of my study styles, but this is a big help and support towards increasing the happiness in education for me.
The path of education might be rough sometimes, but when I put all the positive attitudes and emotions together, I realized that there are more choices of happiness in my education. Education has given more meaning to my life and brought more happiness than I had imagined. It is a lifetime achievement in every ways and forms, and there is no dough about that. Education, hard work and determination are the key to success. The success in our lives is where the happiness comes in.
Work Cited
Robinson, ken. Do schools Kill Creativity? Ken Conference. Feb 2006. http: //www.helpyourself-101.blogspot.com/

Mark Van Doren states, “Every youth should be made to feel that his happiness and well-doing in life must necessarily rely mainly on himself and the exercise of his own energies, rather than upon the help and patronage of others.” (qtd. In Ben – Shahar 89).

No comments:

Post a Comment